Search Bliss n Tell

Monday, February 28, 2011

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Veggie Delight!


I really enjoy a great Bolognese sauce, it is thick and full of flavor. This lasagna is made with a simple bolognese and lots of veggies. It was really good and super healthy. All my children ate it, okay, except Logan, I usually have to make him something seperate, he is the picky one. But, hey, one out of five-- I'll take it. This meal has carrots, spinach, celery, mushrooms, onions and garlic, and it has great protein from cottage cheese  rather than ricotta cheese. There is a lot of chopping in this recipe, so it may be a sunday supper instead of a weeknight meal because its not a "fast fix." I started all my chopping in the early afternoon and made my bolognese sauce and stuck it in the refrigerator. I started the other work at dinner time... it made it much easier considering I cook with my 22 mth old in my hip. Why is it that they always want you when you are cooking, or on the phone, ( heck, I don't even talk on the phone anymore, thank goodness for texting) or in the bathroom.. ?? Oh well, they are only young once, before you know it I won't have anyone waiting outside the bathroom door for me, or in the bathroom with me! :)

 Anyways, I had a piece for lunch the next day and I feel like it tasted even better the next day.. So, maybe make it on a Saturday and serve it on Sunday... heat it, make a salad, toast some bread, and have yourself a nice meal.



Spinach Bolognese Lasagna

adapted from cuisine light and revised by bliss n tell

For the Lasagna

9 lasagna sheets
1 lb. frozen spinach


For the Bolognese

3/4 lb. ground turkey
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 cup chopped carrots, onion and celery
8 oz, mushrooms
2 cloves garlic
1 can low sodium diced tomatoes 14.5 oz can
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 T. dried Italian Herbs
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 can low sodium tomato sauce 8 oz. divided ( i use Hunts)

For the cheese sauce

1 1/2 cups 2 % cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella ( part Skim)
1 egg
1/4 cup parmesan shredded


Preheat oven to 375
Boil the lasagna sheets about 8 min, take them out to cool. using the same water blanch your spinach for 1 minute.
Drain Spinach and let cool. Remove excess water by squeezing spinach in paper towels!
Brown Turkey in oil over medium heat
Mince the onion, carrot, celery, onions and garlic in a food processor


and add to browned turkey. Cook about 5 min, or until veggies are soft.


Stir in the wine, diced tomatoes, dried herbs, pepper flakes, and black pepper.. bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to low and simmer 3 minutes. Add remaining sauce to skillet and set aside.
Pulse cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella and egg in the food processor until smooth.
Layer 4 lasagna sheet over 1T. tomato sauce.  Spread 1/3 of the bolognese over the lasagna sheets

top with half the cheese sauce, followed by half the spinach.

Repeat the layers with 4 more lasagna sheets, top with another 1/3 of the bolognese, remaining cheese sauce and remaining spinach. Top with remaining lasagna sheets the bolognese, remaining mozzarella and parmesan. Bake until top is browned about 25 min.

Let it rest about 15 min before serving








No comments:

Post a Comment