Search Bliss n Tell

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

It's Chili Outside


It's freezing outside! The first snow of the season is here! I have to say I am not too happy about it, I will admit, I don't really love snow! I love the look of snow, and the peacefulness it brings when we are all snowed in, but we all know that only lasts so long... then it's just a pain. I was not expecting this storm.. so I didn't make a mad rush to the grocery store, So I am posting a recipe that I tried for the first time- luckily with things I had already in the pantry, White Bean Chicken Chili. To me this is more like a soup rather than a chili.. but I still liked it.  This can be a great meal to make if you have leftover chicken.

I love chili in the cold months, and soon I will post my most favorite recipe, but until then this is a nice alternative-- something light, inexpensive, healthy and filling. Stay Warm! Brrrrr!


White Bean Chicken Chili


recipe by all you



Ingredients

  • 1  tablespoon  vegetable oil
  • 2  whole bone-in chicken breasts (about 3 lb.)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2  onions, chopped
  • 4  cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2  4-oz. cans roasted green chilies, drained
  • 1  tablespoon  ground cumin
  • 2  15-oz. cans white beans, rinsed and drained
  • 4  cups  low-sodium chicken broth

Preparation

1. Warm oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and place skin side down in skillet. Cook 6 minutes, turning once. Transfer to a plate; remove skin. Drain all but 2 Tbsp. fat from pan. Sauté onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Stir onion mixture, chilies, 1 cup water, cumin, chicken, beans and broth into slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, stirring twice. Remove 1 cup beans plus 1/2 cup liquid from slow cooker. Puree in a blender; return to slow cooker. Shred chicken and return to slow cooker. Serve hot.
















No comments:

Post a Comment